Skip to main content

Immersed in the Water of Each Other


(For those who have read my blog before, I am announcing that The Las Cruces Bulletin has agreed to publish my work as a column about once a month. I was asked to write an introductory column and asked to give it a name. Well, I chose -- Dwelling Places. I could think of no better name for my ramblings, contemplations, and gleanings and whatever is published in the Bulletin I will of course post on this blog by the same name. So the post below is my introductory column to an unsuspecting public. Wish me well. -- dtb)


   In the Cecil B. DeMille classic, “The Ten Commandments,” the banished Moses (Charleston Heston), wanders for weeks in the desert. Moses eventually finds “strength from a fruit-laden palm tree...and life-giving water flowing from the well of Midian.” In his deep dulcet measured cadence Heston’s Moses says: “I am a stranger in a strange land. I have no wealth, no skill as a shepherd, and it is death to give sanctuary to a runaway slave.” A sheik of Midian, Jethro, assures Moses that he would be safe. Moses tells Jethro:  “I will dwell within this land.”  For some reason, those simple lines hit me like a ton of adobe bricks.
     The word “dwell” burrows deep into me. It calls to mind a laborious deepness, shadowy cisterns and water wells in the desert. A well is a place where a simple water bucket dwells deep in the shadows, immersed empty -- and pulled out full -- for refreshment. Dwelling places are the ever morphing organic-like contexts within which we live, move, and thrive. These are places, figurative and literal, where the complexities and simplicities we experience abound. Our thoughts, words, actions, failures and accomplishments, all mixed together, become panoply of useful experience. They are the bases for our future decisions in our interactions. For example, a simple encounter of a male Jew and a Samaritan woman at a well presents a peaceful coming together of opposites as they both seek the same goal, respite and refreshment. (John 4:1-26)
      That is why Dwelling Places is the name of this column.  Hopefully, contemplation of a cognitive dimension will show that we are immersed into a world of the “water of each other.” We cannot be separated.  We are drenched through and through into the contextual baptized fabric of our being. It can be ignored, or glossed over, but never removed. I challenge you to begin looking beyond the bookends of the conservative vs. liberal polemic.
     My stories of real people affected by the “politics” of our time will undoubtedly amuse, anger, and give cause for protest. For instance, my gleanings regarding questions of immigration policy will undoubtedly relate to the biblical question, “who is my neighbor?” in the parable of the Good Samaritan. My challenge to you will be to attempt a comprehensive self-awareness that is not limited by the polemic of republicans, democrats, conservatives, or liberals.  Rather, the real challenge is to triangulate our thoughts from a holistic perspective with the implications of the specific actions of the Pharisee, the Levite, or the despised Samaritan or even the man beat and left for dead. (Luke 10:25-37).
     I hope to challenge all faith perspectives, including agnostics, and atheists: “Open the second pair of your eyes. They are like heat seeking infrared night vision. They can detect the fulcrums of our conscience, tending us toward clarity of what is “good” and/or “evil”.  Hopefully, this contemplation will serve you like Moses’ “fruit laden palm trees,” giving you refreshment.
     Our world’s interpersonal, psychological, economic, social and political problems make us numb. In the fast paced social media world, we search for soulful quiet resting places, places to catch a deep breath of peace. Spanish conquistadors once looked for “parajes” or “resting places.” We too must reassess our sense of bearing along life’s journey.
     As a Christian and Catholic, I believe in God. Therefore, my thoughts will essentially carry within them glimmers of the essence of that belief system. But don’t let that be a cause to exclude the possible fecundity of ideas that are truly universal and many of which predate Christianity. I pray the ideas will be informative and transformative. The topics will be hopefully contiguous with the conversations echoed since we were once cave “dwellers.”
     Like Moses, all are “strangers in a strange land”. We limit the amount of angst and worry in our lives when we make the simple choices as Moses did, “to dwell” or to move on. The rest of it is our engagement with those we encounter as we move toward an unseen horizon. Expect. Expect to be surprised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 11, 2001, A Tuesday, Not a Day Like Anyother

  On September 11th 2001, a Tuesday, I was set to fly to Washington, D.C. for the first gathering of the inductees to the Excellence in Government Fellows. We were to meet on Wednesday, September 12th at the Willard Hotel for the initial ceremonies and series of week long events for those of us from across the nation who were to participate. I originally had my flight on the Monday before, September 10, but decided to switch my flight. If I had departed that Monday, I would have been in the middle of it all. I remember getting up early that day since the American Airlines flight was to depart from Albuquerque for Atlanta at 8 a.m. with a connecting flight to Ronald Reagan International in D.C. later that afternoon. It was still dark outside when my Red 1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab pulled into the extended parking area. I travel light so I had two bags. Took the shuttle from extended parking and the sun still was not near its rising point. It was about 6 a.m. I got to the airport, and

Life: Pinata Parties, Catastrophes and Eucatastrophes

Before I get to my surprise, you will have to wade through this mess of thoughts, unless of course, you cheat and skip over it and go to the end. I wouldn't blame you cause that is probably what I might do. But then again, I might just wade through the cherry jello to get to the slice of banana. You truly cannot appreciate the slice of the banana unless you taste it with the jello. Life is a Pinata Party Truly living life is a giant pinata party. We bang the thing blindfolded. We sense its swing; feel the brush against our hair, and so we take a whack again. Again, we do a round-about and swing; and we can hear the rope pull the pinata zipping up and down as if it were alive and trying to escape our baton's collision. And then suddenly, with that mysterious crack like close lightening, a shower of sweet delights rain down upon our head. Pinatas are interesting because they represent our desire to conquer the "seven deadly sins:" Pride, envy, anger, sloth, g

Part II: Into the Darkness of Sight: The Carpenter from Tennessee -- Risen and Real

Consider this the rest of the story about  the tattered and torn Christ I encountered yesterday, on his way to Tennessee with his mother and little puppy. It's interesting that oft times when ministers minister to a transient soul, that after the good deed is done, the minister thinks he's done. Uh uh! Not so! Not even close. Part 1 tells of the trauma of the carpenter from Tennessee who I just know IS the tattered and torn Christ. He's out of gas, water and food, and is on the way to Tennessee with his mother and a beagle puppy. To recap, he had enough gas to make it into the Diocese Pastoral Center, a bit off the beaten path for a couple making their way from Phoenix to Tennessee. They had no cell phone so how did they find me? There isn't a big Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Las Cruces sign on our building. He asked no one for recommendations as to who might help. Our building doesn't really look like a church. I could understand if the tattered and torn