Skip to main content

A Man Named Buford -- A Eucharistic Story

A man named Buford came to see me a few weeks ago. His need was great. Buford was homeless. I remember his desperation as he told me how he had been living in his car. He had been evicted by a girlfriend who had informally agreed to live with him at her place. He was a bit embarrassed to discuss the story thinking that perhaps I'd come to some kind of judgment of him. It's an awful thing to be homeless; no place or space to call your own, or place to rest; constantly afraid that a codes enforcement officer would come and say, you cannot park here, or you must move. The nights are still chilling cold, even with blankets in a car; then there is no place to shower...and that's a worse thing not looking presentable especially if you have a small job.

I told Buford we would help him search out a place that fit his budget and that we would help with a deposit. The deposit would have to be a modest sum, nothing exorbitant. Finally, he asked me if I would fill his tank with gas so he could keep his job. It cost maybe $40 to fill his tank. You see, if you lose the job because you have no gas to drive there, add joblessness to homelessness. How in the world can you recover from such odds? It is like a death spiral out of which it is only the power God that can rescue you.

I said: “Buford, you’re in good company. Jesus was homeless – actually born homeless; Jesus knew what it was like to be evicted out of his own town; Jesus knew betrayal by someone so close.” I talked about John Chapter 6 and how the real presence of God was in the tabernacles of every Catholic Church throughout the world. He was fascinated that the self-imprisoned Lord of the universe in a tabernacle in even the least ornate of catholic sanctuaries was possibly waiting for him. Jesus was waiting for Buford so one day when asked: "When I was in prison did you visit me?" Buford will be able to answer, "Yes, Lord." Jesus might just be waiting for him; a physical personal Lord and savior. I said, “Buford, go get the cobalt radiation therapy from God Himself. 

"He emanates from that little box of gold or simple wood; you will sense 'peace'." Tears streamed down his face. Just what if a person is gifted with the grace to believe the unbelievable; that a real humanly divine presence is true and touchable in the form of consecrated bread? Just what if it was for no other reason than that (1) God has the power to do it, past, present and future; (2) it is fitting for the rest of the world to have the benefit of the physical Christ ‘until the end of the age,’ (Matt 28:20) in the form of 'food' because He loved us so much to lower himself to this; and (3) that when Jesus said, “This is my Body” the word “is” meant “is?" Buford was mystified.

The next day, Buford came in bringing a lease agreement and we agreed to pay the $275 deposit. But I asked Buford if he would do me a favor, “Buford, if at all possible, when you get on your feet, can you possibly donate 1/2 of what you have been given today? More tears. He said, “Gladly.” Three weeks later, the girls in the front office told me Buford was back. He wanted to see me and ask for more assistance again. Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Las Cruces has a policy of one time assistance. Although I am always ready to listen to requests no matter what, assuming I don't have prior time commitments. Buford is an impressive black gentleman but this time he has a big smile on his face. He handed me a piece of paper. I am shocked. I am mystified. I am almost smitten to the ground as I looked and saw it was a Cashier's check in the amount of $1000.

Buford says, “I am on my feet again in more ways than dollars can define. Deacon Baca, you have relieved more than my lack of a home; you have relieved the stress that is self-imposed by the mistakes we make in life that are blessings in disguise. You have taught me much." Formerly homeless Buford restored three times what was parceled out in order to help someone else in a similar situation. Once again Jesus multiplied the loaves and the fish.

Doesn't the scripture say: "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come" (Psalm 23)? Indeed. I remain still mystified of the blossoming effect possible from a mere mustard seed of authentic love. The Cup of Life is full even when its half full or even empty. Emptiness is simply the fact that the chalice of the heart has the potential to be full. Emptiness can be a good thing as we anticipate whether or not we will let it be overcome with creativity or destructivity. This is the nature of the free will we have been given within the inner chambers of our cup of life.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 11, 2001, A Tuesday, Not a Day Like Anyother

  On September 11th 2001, a Tuesday, I was set to fly to Washington, D.C. for the first gathering of the inductees to the Excellence in Government Fellows. We were to meet on Wednesday, September 12th at the Willard Hotel for the initial ceremonies and series of week long events for those of us from across the nation who were to participate. I originally had my flight on the Monday before, September 10, but decided to switch my flight. If I had departed that Monday, I would have been in the middle of it all. I remember getting up early that day since the American Airlines flight was to depart from Albuquerque for Atlanta at 8 a.m. with a connecting flight to Ronald Reagan International in D.C. later that afternoon. It was still dark outside when my Red 1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab pulled into the extended parking area. I travel light so I had two bags. Took the shuttle from extended parking and the sun still was not near its rising point. It was about 6 a.m. I got to the airport, and

Life: Pinata Parties, Catastrophes and Eucatastrophes

Before I get to my surprise, you will have to wade through this mess of thoughts, unless of course, you cheat and skip over it and go to the end. I wouldn't blame you cause that is probably what I might do. But then again, I might just wade through the cherry jello to get to the slice of banana. You truly cannot appreciate the slice of the banana unless you taste it with the jello. Life is a Pinata Party Truly living life is a giant pinata party. We bang the thing blindfolded. We sense its swing; feel the brush against our hair, and so we take a whack again. Again, we do a round-about and swing; and we can hear the rope pull the pinata zipping up and down as if it were alive and trying to escape our baton's collision. And then suddenly, with that mysterious crack like close lightening, a shower of sweet delights rain down upon our head. Pinatas are interesting because they represent our desire to conquer the "seven deadly sins:" Pride, envy, anger, sloth, g

Pro Life Saint Doesn't Have to Be Saintly to the Devil

[In Response to an Opinion Piece in the Albuquerque Journal by   JOLINE GUTIERREZ KRUEGER / JOURNAL STAFF WRITER Tuesday, May 28th, 2019 at 12:02am https://www.abqjournal.com/1320926/prolife-saint-not-saintly-to-all.html?fbclid=IwAR3Hrl8HMhaTp64k4c9RVLZ3KnC5V9YEFvn2WKDk_ch1kWrGw55XKx6B1i0 Whether Phil Leahy is a truly saintly man may indeed be a matter of opinion, but that he had the right to stand and voice his beliefs in accordance with laws, is without question. And no one had a right to do violence upon him because of a difference of opinion. A good journalist would have recognized that right; and a journalistically trained editorial writer would have defended Mr. Leahy’s right. To mimic the headline of the “Leahy is not a Saint at all” article, Southwestern Women's Options Clinic is not a clinic to all. It doesn’t heal. It destroys. Its perpetrator, Dr. Curtis Boyd is no Doctor either. He destroys late term babies that will have their futures ended by having the